Monday, October 29, 2012

THE SANDY SAGA - Part 4 (Is This Getting Old Yet?)


~ ~ Monday, October 29, 2012 ~ ~

9:00pm – Winds: 24mph with 30mph gusts. The pressure is at 967mb, and still falling (for reference, 24 hours ago, the pressure here was around 1004mb). Thankfully, yours truly still has power (*knock on wood… again*), but power is out in many surrounding areas. Underground electrical wires… they can be a seriously awesome thing. I will, however, be surprised if my place manages to get through this thing without going dark. Sad part? The worst is apparently still to come. I have to hand it to you, southerners, this whole mammoth storm thing is tough! It’s not so much the howling wind and rain thing here right now, but more the prospect that my power could go out at any minute, so holyshnikiesIbetterhurryupandmakemymicrowavepopcornnow! It’s odd to think that not too horribly long ago, electricity was some fable… The prospect of being without a TV that could bring you cable broadcasts with the push of a button or without a computer through which you would instantly communicate with friends and colleagues did not scare people because these circumstances were completely normal. To me, however, the idea that I may very well be forced to go without the internet by factors outside of my control is absolutely frightening. What would I do at 9:15pm on a Monday night? Sleep? Strike up a conversation with my finger puppets? Read by frosting-scented candle-light? Bet you didn’t think this would start to become a philosophical discussion, did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment